Hearty Soup for Rainy Days
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 celery sticks, roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 red chilli – chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- 175g split red lentils
- 1.2 litres vegetable stock
- 400g can plum tomatoes
- 2 tsp tomato purée
- 4 tbsp Greek yoghurt
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- Heat the oil in a saucepan. Add the onion and cook over a low heat for 7–8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beginning to soften. Stir in the celery and carrot and cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the garlic, cumin and coriander and cook for a further minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the lentils, stock, tomatoes with their juice, tomato purée and bay leaf. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, then half-cover the pan with a lid and simmer for 25–30 minutes until the lentils and vegetables are very soft.
- Meanwhile, stir the coriander into the yoghurt for the garnish.
- Turn off the heat. Add two spoons of cream or coconat milk to the soup (optional). Serve the soup with the joghurt garnish