Hello from Poland
- 300g sauerkraut
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion
- 30g dried forest mushrooms
- 1 egg
- 400g flour
- 100ml of hot water
- Salt and pepper
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, 1 spoon of oil, pinch of salt and flour until well mixed.
- Add water and knead by hand or in a stand mixer until the dough is smooth. Wrap with plastic and let rest at least 10 minutes.
- In a large skillet, sauté onion in oil until golden. Add soaked, chopped mushrooms and sauté 3 minutes. Stir in sauerkraut, salt, and pepper. Sauté until kraut turns golden, about 20 minutes.
- Take a portion of dough and roll out very thin on a floured surface.
- Using a drinking glass or round cookie cutter, cut circles
- Roll out each circle a little bit more (you can also stretch the dough with your fingers).
- Spoon about 1,5 teaspoon of the filling into the center of each circle.
- Fold each circle in half around filling to form a semicircle, and firmly press edges together with your fingers. The edges should be free of filling.
- Transfer the pierogi to a lightly floured baking sheet. Cover with a dishtowel.
- Now you can cook your pierogi in boiling, salted water ( 2 min after they float on the surface) or freeze them for later use.
- After pierogies are boiled, fry them on a little bit of oil, until they turn golden.