- 500g medium green asparagus
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large egg yolk
- 3 tsp lemon juice
- 100g butter
- Trim the woody ends from the asparagus. Spread the spears in a single layer in a shallow roasting pan or on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and roll to coat thoroughly.
- Roast the asparagus until lightly browned for about 10 minutes in 180°C
- Get a saucepan and a heatproof mixing bowl that will sit stably over the pan. Half-fill the pan with water and bring to a simmer. Turn down the heat as low as it can go but still have the water simmering.
- Place the butter in a medium pan over a low heat, so it starts to melt but doesn’t burn. When the butter has melted, take it off the heat.
- Place the egg yolks in your heatproof mixing bowl, which you should then place over the pan of just-simmering water. It’s important that the saucepan is on a low heat, or the eggs will scramble.
- Using a balloon whisk, start to beat your eggs, then whisk in lemon juice
- Keep whisking, and then start adding the melted butter by slowly drizzling it in, whisking all the time, till all the butter has been incorporated. The result should be a lovely, smooth, thick sauce.
- Season with sea salt and freshly groundblack pepper,